Sunday, November 16, 2008

dilemma

In the past few years, I have really tried to avoid buying obvious designer knock offs. Going to design school and working in the fashion industry are the main reasons for this rule. I know what goes into designing a collection and I know that these quick reproductions, which often surface in the store before the actual designer piece does, are poorly made and will last only a few wears. And someone with a trained eye will know they are fake, especially shoes. And everyone knows that cheap shoes tend to be super uncomfortable. That is not to say that I would not recreate the coveted piece myself on my home sewing machine, but then I can give credit where it is due while also showing off my mad sewing skills. Although Zara did become one of my stand by stores while living in Paris due to the exchange rate, this rule meant I eliminated certain stores from my shopping destinations.

This is where my dilemma comes in. I was looking through one of my b-list fashion magazines, and found a cute pair of shoes for extremely cheap. Upon visiting the Baker website, I decided the shoes that brought me there were no good. BUT, then I found these.



A great pair of fake Alaias. And considering that the average pair of Alaia shoes cost well over 500 dollars, the 59.99 price tag is pretty appealing. And they would look oh so lovely with my new CDG for H&M pants...Ahhh the struggle...

No comments: